By Andrew Horton,Joanna E. Rapf
- A wide-ranging choice of 24 essays exploring movie comedy from the silent period to the present
- International in scope, the gathering embraces not only American cinema, together with local American and African American, but in addition comedian movies from Europe, the center East, and Korea
- Essays discover sub-genres, performers, and cultural views corresponding to gender, politics, and historical past as well as person works
- Engages with varied strands of comedy together with slapstick, romantic, satirical and ironic
- Features unique entries from a various crew of multidisciplinary overseas contributors
Read or Download A Companion to Film Comedy PDF
Similar film & video art books
During this finished guidebook, 3 skilled leisure legal professionals inform you every thing you want to recognize to provide and industry an self reliant movie from the improvement approach to deal making, financing, constructing the construction, hiring administrators and actors, securing position rights, buying song, calculating gains, electronic relocating making, distribution, and advertising your motion picture.
D. W. Griffith (1875-1948) is likely one of the so much influential figures within the historical past of the movie. As director of The beginning of a state, he's additionally the most arguable. He raised the cinema to a brand new point of paintings, leisure, and innovation, and while he illustrated, for the 1st time, its power to persuade an viewers and propagandize a reason.
Girls filmmakers in Mexico have been infrequent until eventually the Eighties and Nineties, while girls started to direct function movies in exceptional numbers. Their movies have gained acclaim at domestic and overseas, and the filmmakers became key figures in modern Mexican cinema. during this ebook, Elissa Rashkin files how and why ladies filmmakers have completed those successes, as she explores how the women's move, movie reports courses, governmental movie coverage, and the transformation of the highbrow zone because the Nineteen Sixties have all affected women's filmmaking in Mexico.
Governing Visions of the Real traces the emergence, improvement, and strategies of Griersonian documentary – named for pioneering Scottish film-maker John Grierson – in New Zealand in the course of the first half the 20 th century. Paying shut recognition to the productions of the nationwide movie Unit within the Nineteen Forties and Nineteen Fifties, Lars Weckbecker lines the transferring practices and governmentality of documentary’s ‘visions of the true’ as New Zealand and its inhabitants got here to be expected via NFU movie for an ensemble of political, pedagogic, and propagandistic reasons.
- Charlie Chan at the Movies: History, Filmography, and Criticism
- Critical Political Economy of the Media: An Introduction (Communication and Society)
- Generic Histories of German Cinema: Genre and Its Deviations (Screen Cultures: German Film and the Visual)
- High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic
Additional resources for A Companion to Film Comedy